Mouthwatering Mondays: Amazing Acai Berry Balls
Thanks to the amazing David Wolfe, I have introduced a huge variety of superfoods into my diet over the past few years and feel amazing for it. Though cacao has captured my heart forever, it is the humble purple berry, ACAI (pronounced ‘ah-sigh-ee’), that continues to blow me away.
Native to Central and South America, this teeny tiny super pretty berry packs a punch in the nutrition department. Acai is the world’s richest known source of the antioxidant ‘anthocyanin’ (the pigment responsible for the purple colour), which helps to protect the body against disease. Acai is packed full of over 16 antioxidants altogether, as well as; essential fatty acids, fibre, a vast range of vitamins & minerals and amino acids which will ensure the makings of a VERY healthy body. It’s no surprise that these berries have been a staple in the diet of Brazilians for many years, and why I now consume this antioxidant-rich berry on a regular basis.
I created this recipe to take to our Sunday market stall and the response I received back from some happy customers was… ’YUUUUM’ and ‘OHHH WOW’, so you won’t be disappointed:
What you need:
2 cups cashews
4 heaped teaspoons Amazonia acai berry powder
¾ cup pitted dates
1 tablespoon raw organic honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon coconut oil
¾ cups desiccated coconut (plus ¼ cup extra to roll balls in)
Pinch of salt
How to make:
- Using a food processor, process all dry ingredients into a powder
- Add the coconut oil, honey & vanilla extract and pulse to mix.
- Leave the food processor on and feed through the dates – one by one
- Process the mixture until a dough forms
- Using your hands, roll small portions of the dough into balls and cover with the remaining desiccated coconut.
- Place in the fridge in an airtight container for an hour or two prior to devouring
- Will make roughly 12 – 14 antioxidant-rich balls
Check out Amazonia for some of their incredible acai products. I absolutely adore the acai berry puree (which is perfect for drizzling over raw muesli) and their raw food bars are ridiculously delicious… YUMMO!
Did you enjoy this article?
Get Free Updates